October 27, 2008

Praise And Respect

Praise and respect to all my blood ancestors,
my four deceased grandparents...

Praise and respect to my grandfather George,
the sensitive one with the artful precise eye
and the seashell collection...

Praise and respect to my grandmother Libby,
a warrior spirit and careerwoman,
with a commanding presence...

Praise and respect to my grandfather Lester,
a private feeler who put on a happy face for his family
and impressed his only grandson by tying him into a pretzel
and pulling quarters out of his nose...

Praise and respect to my grandmother Harriet,
oldest of 3 daughters who lost their father as children,
with the quickest mind and most voracious appetite for knowledge,
who taught me inquisitiveness and serves as a spiritual touchstone:
Barry, scribe of Harriet...

Praise and respect to the other ancestors in Africa, India, Australia...
the astrologers, seers and speakers of truth...
the sensitive men and overweight lesbians...
trailblazers, drug-takers and witch doctors who instilled in me powers I still don't understand...
to the writers, poets, thinkers and goofy oddballs,
some who were tortured, beheaded or imprisoned for talking too much of the right things at the right times...

I hope to connect with you,
and repay you with my gratitude for making who I am and what I do possible...
by doing it to the best of my ability at any given time
and making you proud of me...

... in praise and respect.

-astrobarry

1 comment:

The Sacred Well said...

Right on Barry! This is a great piece and the ancestors are proud of you. Give thanks - Rha